Last week I had the privilege of attending the annual two-day Global Leadership Summit (via video feed). I was impressed by the depth of speakers, the quality of the content and the level of personal challenge that I encountered. In order to pass along the goodness, today’s blog contains 20 of my favorite quotes.
- True leadership only exists if people follow what they have the freedom to not follow. James McGregor Burns.
- If you show me who you are being influenced by I will show you what you are becoming. Craig Groeschel
- Dissatisfied customers are reputation terrorists. Horst Schultze
- I am not failing – I am growing! Do you have the ability to reframe failure as growth in order to achieve your goals? Jim Collins
- We all have strengths, weaknesses and blind spots. In fact, an average person has 3.4 blind spots. Bill Hybels
- Other people have all kinds of information about you that is invisible to you. How do you get feedback? Sheila Heen
- Complacency is a stealthy thing. It enters our house as a guest and then it acts as the host before it becomes our master. Liz Wiseman
- If leaders don’t have an antidote for fear they will be crushed by it. What is your antidote? Bill Hybels
- The consequence of following you should hold the promise of positive life change for those who do so. Sam Adeyemi
- Many leadership problems are driven by low self-awareness. Bill Hybels
- Creative leadership impact increases in your 50’s. When I turn 50 I want to say, “Nice start!” Jim Collins
- It is not the absence of money that makes you poor. It is the absence of vision and ideas. Sam Adeyemi
- If you have a charismatic cause you don’t need to be a charismatic leader. Jim Collins
- How can you succeed by helping others succeed? We succeed at our very best only when we help others succeed. Jim Collins
- Effective leaders have grit. Grit development demands difficulty. The archenemy of grit is ease. Billy Hybels
- Be rigorous about your HR decisions. There is a difference between rigorous and ruthless. Jim Collins.
- Sometimes our organizations don’t grow because our leader fails to believe in the abilities of their followers. Liz Wiseman
- Leadership grit begets grit. Lead by example. Bill Hybels
- Your brain does not understand what you are capable of. There is way more inside of you than you can imagine. Craig Groeschel
- Don’t take care of your career. Take care of your people. They will take care of your career. Jim Collins
Later this week I will post part II. Stay tuned for 20 more great quotes…
Dr. Jeff Suderman is a leader-in-process, consultant and professor who works in the field of organizational development. He partners with clients to improve culture, leadership, teamwork, organizational alignment, strategy and organizational future-readiness. He resides in Palm Desert, California. Twitter: @jlsuderman